THE ACADEMY OF NATURAL SCIENCES
JOB TITLE: Curatorial Assistant ISSUE DATE: 1 February 2005
GROUP: CSBE ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 902
DURATION: Full time, 2 years, beginning March/April 2005
This position involves responsibility for the curation of dry and ethanol preserved biological specimens collected in stream surveys across the eastern United States from the 1940s to the 1980s by the Patrick Center for Environmental Research. Samples include algae, mollusks, insects, crustaceans and fish. http://www.acnatsci.org/research/index.html
1. Hands-on care of biological samples including archival re-housing of specimens.
2. Determination of locality and environmental data for specimens based on field notes and reports; assignment of latitude and longitude to collecting localities based on original field maps.
3. Use of relational database to computerize and label specimens.
4. Arrangement of materials in systematic or geographic order as appropriate to the departmental collection receiving the specimens.
5. Other related projects as assigned.
Education: College degree in biology or related field preferred.
Experience: Experience working with museum collections preferred; training and demonstrated ability in specimen preparation preferred; familiarity with computers and database programs desirable. Good organizational skills and attention to details; ability to work independently.
Typical office and lab conditions; exposure to ethanol, formalin, and other preservatives used in specimen collections; exposure to dust; occasional moving of heavy boxes.
Send resume, one-page letter of interest, college transcripts and names/addresses/telephone & e-mail addresses of at least three professional or academic references to:
Alex Moede; Reference # 902
Patrick Center of Environmental Research
Academy of Natural Sciences
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19103-1195
The Academy of Natural Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer.